Everyday you hear people say they have heard about HIV/AIDS, but not too many people really know the basics about the disease; how it is transmitted and how it impacts the world.
Well let’s present to you the daily facts about HIV/AIDS that you should know: Knowledge they Say is Power….
HIV can be transmitted through:
- unprotected sexual intercourse (vaginal or anal) or oral sex with an infected person;
- transfusions of contaminated blood;
- sharing of contaminated needles, syringes or other sharp instruments;
- transmission between a mother and her baby during pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding.
HIV has no cure, but with effective treatment (Antiretroviral drugs -ARVs) people with HIV have gone on to live very productive and healthy lives.
– More than 36 million people have died of AIDS related illness globally 😦
– A 2012 report showed that over 35 million people are living with HIV globally
– Sub-saharan Africa is the most affected region with an estimated 23.5 million people infected.
– In Nigeria; an estimated 3.4 million people are living with HIV/AIDS.
Data Sources : World Health Organization (WHO) – http://www.who.int
UNAIDS – http://www.unaids.org (factsheet/global report 2013
I guess these numbers tell us we have to do more!!!